Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Retro Chair Makeovers!

Hello, there!  We can't believe that it has been almost a month since our last post.  We have been working on so many projects and Grandmom Betty has been up to visit from Florida.  Here is a BIG project we have been working on and my oh my did these need some help!  We really think they turned out lovely! 

We got these three chairs off of Craiglist for $30.  One of the chairs is a rocker.


As you can see they were in bad shape with a lot of rust!


These chairs had 6 layers of paint!!  And there were also holes due to rust corrosion.
YIKES!  We used Bondo to repair the holes and it worked wonders! 


It took us a long time to strip all the paint off of these!  Then we used a wire brush drill extension to take off the rest of it.  We regret that we didn't take pictures when they were completely down to the bare metal because they were as shiny as a brand new quarter.  We were just trying to finish them before Grandmom Betty got here!




All primed and ready to go!



We still have to spray a shiny protective coat.  We just really are in love with these!


Next we are going to repair the cracks on our concrete porch and give it a makeover!
We hope that you all are having a great week!  We are going to try to catch up on some blogs now!!

Hugs,
Laura and Michele

 

15 comments:

Protector of Vintage said...

I love those chairs!! What a wonderful job you did!!! We have many cracks on our concrete patio, so I'm anxious to see your porch make-over. Take care~

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Hope you are enjoying your visit. Love the chairs, I redid mine but needed to do more sanding. The colors you chose are great and so is the pattern on the chairs.

Musings from Kim K. said...

Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous. Your efforts are definitely worth it. Amazing transformation.

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Absolutely fantastic. The revamp sounds like really hard work but well worth it!

Unknown said...

WOW i can't believe those are the same chairs what a huge makeover that was and it must have taken you ages. They look amazing well done to you both, dee x

Anonymous said...

Wow! Super job girls! I'm impressed! I love the colors you chose. There's nothing like having family come for a visit to motivate you! ♥

Boo-Bah AKA Iris said...

I love that you shared the before pictures. Shows what a lot of creativity and effort can bring about. The chairs are really beautiful!!

laurie -magpie ethel said...

What a bunch of effort that went into those chairs, but the end result is spectacular. (bonus on the price on Craigslist - great score). You really did an amazing job on these.

polkadotpeticoat said...

These are amazing.....I am your newest follower.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I am helping to manage an exciting program for my client at 3M with regards to Bondo. I came across your photos of the retro chairs and thought they were great! I highly recommend that you submit your photos online for entry into our Sweepstakes (http://bondosweepstakes.com/Sweepstakes). We have great prizes to be won! Also, please feel free to interact with Bondo on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/bondoproducts). We love new friends.

I would also like to ask your permission to be able to link this video on our Facebook page. Please reply to: bondo@egroupnet.com.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Gabriella at E Group

Janet, said...

I love your chairs! You really did a lot of work on them. I have two that I purchased at a yard sale a few years ago for $3 each. We painted ours yellow and one is a rocker. They are on our front porch and I just love them.

Mecky said...

I love your chairs! I have the matching glider! I need to restore BADLY. It is on the list.... so someday! The original color is turquiose! I love your blue much better!

Shannon said...

Wow, these turned out fantastic. Did you use a type of spray paint (ie Rustoleum) to refinish these? I'm also curious as to how Bondo worked to repair holes from the rust. Good job, gals.

Laura said...

Thank you for stopping by! We added you but for some reason our comment will not post so I posted it here. Now.... about the chairs, yes bondo works wonders but it took alot of patience and hard work for the outcome. First we stripped, sandblasted them. Then we used rust remover and patched them with the bondo. After the bondo dried we sanded them down to give them a nice finish. We then primed them with rust-oleum primer. We finished them off by spray painting them with krylon indoor/outdoor gloss color (ocean breeze), and finally a coat of clear outdoor spray for extra protection.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.